The descendants of
Isham B. Thomas
Mary E. Ulmer
Alachua County, Florida
1803 - 1873
Isham B. Thomas was born about 1803 as determined from his gravestone. However, some census records show he may have been born as late as 1815. His place of birth is listed as Georgia on census records. I believe he may have been from Bulloch County, Georgia, only because of some early 1830's real estate transactions there and his only known sister was married and lived there. He died in Alachua County, Florida, December 18, 1868, and is buried there.
He married Mary Ulmer in Decatur County, Georgia, November 29, 1846. According to census records, Mary was born in South Carolina around 1820-1822. The Ulmer family is shown on the 1840 and 1850 census records as being in Decatur County, Georgia, but not there on the 1830 census. Mary is the daughter of Elender (Eleanor?) Ulmer. I do not know her father's name. Mary died September 15, 1873 in Alachua County, Florida.
Their first child, Sarah, was born in Decatur County, GA, in 1847. On the 1850 Federal Census, Isham B. and Mary Thomas were living in Lowndes County, Georgia. They then had the following children, all shown as born in Georgia: Sarah C., age 3; Nancy E., age 1; and Mary F., age 3 months.
In late 1850 Isham B. Thomas began purchasing land in Alachua County, Florida.
On the 1860 Federal Census, Isham B. and Mary Thomas were living near Newnansville in Alachua County with 8 children. Also in the household were 2 farm laborers (Isham Thomas and Ivey Thomas - more about them later) and 1 family teacher (William Hagler). The agricultural census of the same year showed Isham B. Thomas as having 130 acres of improved land and 610 acres of unimproved land. They had one additional child in 1863. All nine children survived to adulthood, married and remained in Florida.
- 1. Sarah Caroline Thomas
- Born August 21, 1847, Decatur County, GA. Married William H. Griffen about 1867 (he died Aug. 18, 1868) in Alachua County, Florida. Then married Rafael M. Fugate August 27, 1869 (aka Reuben Montgomery Fugate). Lived in Levy County, Florida, and died there November 18, 1915.
- 2. Nancy E. Thomas
- Born in Georgia November 29, 1848. Married William Marion Campbell, in Alachua County, Florida, probably about 1867. The Campbell family is buried in the Thomas Cemetery and a Nancy J. Campbell is shown there being born November 29, 1848 and dying April 7, 1926.
- 3. Mary Frances Thomas
- The 1850 census lists her as Mary F. Thomas and the 1860 census shows her as Frances Thomas. She was born April 3, 1850 in Lowndes County, Georgia, and married Jesse M. Shaw on December 10, 1868, in Alachua County, Florida. Mary died September 15, 1906. Both Jesse and Mary Shaw are buried in the Thomas Cemetery in Alachua County.
- 4. Franklin Pearce Thomas
- Born October 20, 1852, in Alachua County Florida, and died October 25, 1923 according to the gravestone. Franklin Thomas married Fannie P. Hague in 1869 and Nancy E. Hollingsworth in 1893. He had 8 children, all by his first wife.
- 5. George Bulloch Thomas
- Born December 1854 in Alachua County, Florida. Married Emma Dudley October 18, 1893 in Alachua County. Died in 1941 in Pinellas County, Florida.
- 6. Joseph Murray Thomas
- My G-Grandfather. Born April 13, 1856, in Alachua County, Florida. Married Louisa Pike in Orange County, Florida Feb. 15, 1880. Died June 2, 1945, Pittman, Lake County, Florida.
- 7. America A. Thomas
- Born May 15, 1858, in Alachua County, Florida. Married Tamerlane H. Cato January 28, 1874 in Alachua County, Florida. Died in Orange County, Florida, on December 12, 1946, and is buried in Alachua County.
- 8. William M. Thomas
- Born May 19, 1860, in Alachua County, Florida. Married Fernandina Hawkins, sister of Edward Hawkins (below), on December 14, 1886 in Alachua County. He died October 3, 1930 in Alachua County.
- 9. Henrietta Virginia Thomas
- Born about January 1863 in Alachua County, Florida. Married Edward A. Hawkins on November 1, 1883, in Alachua County, Florida. She died in 1941 in Alachua County.
Information on the family and descendants of Isham B. Thomas is contained in the menu.
Many of the Thomas family members are buried in the Thomas Cemetery and the Hague Cemetery, both in Alachua County. Joseph Murray Thomas and several of his descendants are buried in the Umatilla Cemetery in Lake County, Florida.
The name "Murray" crops up numerous times in Isham's descendants. It has been used both as a first and as a middle name. I do not know the origin of the name and would be interested in any information concerning this.
Two other members of the household on the 1860 census were Ivey Thomas and Isham Thomas, both of whom are shown as farm laborers and have been determined not to be children of Isham B. and Mary Thomas.
I have conducted some research on Ivey and Isham Thomas hoping to find their ties to Isham B. - so far, without success. However, the available information indicates both Ivey A. Thomas' and Isham J. Thomas' fathers were named "William," but they do not appear to be the same person. Click on their links in the menu to read what I know about them.